Shapiro Administration urges drivers to put the phone down
Harrisburg. Taking effect this June, Paul Miller’s Law bans hand-held cell phone use while driving.
The Shapiro Administration is urging motorists to avoid all distractions, put down the phone while driving and be aware of Paul Miller’s Law which Governor Josh Shapiro signed last year and will soon go into effect.
Shapiro signed Senate Bill 37 into law on June 5, 2024. Effective June 5, 2025, the law - known as Paul Miller’s Law - prohibits the use of hand-held devices while driving, even while stopped temporarily due to traffic, a red light, or other momentary delay. Pennsylvania is the 29th state in the nation to ban distracted driving.
The law is named for Paul Miller Jr., who was killed in a crash with a tractor trailer in 2010 in Monroe County as the result of a distracted driver who reached for their phone while driving.
Since Paul’s death, Eileen Miller has become a national advocate for stronger laws to curb distracted driving.
“Nearly 15 years ago, two Dunmore state troopers knocked on my door to tell me that my son was killed,” said Miller. “My son did everything right – he was killed by someone else’s unsafe choices behind the wheel. This law is for every family in Pennsylvania that doesn’t have to experience two state troopers knocking on their door to tell them that their loved one was killed by distracted driving.”
According to PennDOT data, in 2023 there were 11,262 crashes involving a distracted driver, resulting in nearly 6,700 injuries and 65 fatalities. Distracted driving crash data is believed to be underreported due to many drivers’ reluctance to admit to being distracted at the time of a crash.
“Safe driving laws like Paul Miller’s Law are about saving lives,” said PennDOT Secretary Mike Carroll. “Your choices behind the wheel can change lives forever. National Distracted Driving Awareness Month is the perfect time for all motorists to commit to putting the phone down. Please make the safe choice and never drive distracted.”
Paul Miller’s Law prohibits any driver from using a handheld cell phone while driving a motor vehicle.
Drivers can still use their phones to alert emergency responders and, if they are using hands-free technology, to make phone calls, use a GPS, and listen to music. Pennsylvania already enforces a texting-while-driving ban that prohibits drivers from using mobile devices to send, read, or write text-based communications while their vehicle is in motion.
“Focusing on the road while driving is one of the best ways to ensure your safety and the safety of those around you,” said Pennsylvania Insurance Commissioner Michael Humphreys. “Safe driving can also help reduce the cost of your insurance as insurers factor your accident and driving history into their ratemaking. We encourage consumers to speak with their insurance provider to learn more about the benefits of safe driving, the discounts they could receive, and how they can start saving today.”
“As the Prime-Sponsor of Senate Bill 37, now Act 18 of 2024, seeing this law go into effect is incredibly rewarding knowing it will save lives,” said State Senator Rosemary Brown (R- Lackawanna, Monroe, Wayne). “Since day one I have always believed in this commonsense policy. It’s important that drivers remember that the cell phone has become the most consistent, repetitive, and lengthy distraction behind the driver’s wheel causing significant public safety concerns. This law will change behaviors and save lives. The legislature passed Senate Bill 37, now Act 18, with overwhelming bi-partisan support, and I am confident that my efforts, along with the efforts of my friend Eileen Miller, have Pennsylvania going in the right direction for public safety.”